Frank Visser discovered Ken Wilber’s work in 1982 and contacted him in 1995 by fax, after which they became friends. Frank has written the first popular academic book on Wilber: “Ken Wilber: Thought as Passion” (SUNY 2003).In this conversation, we discuss Frank’s departure from Ken Wilber’s insistence that life itself and evolution are manifestations of the divine. We explore the question of how theology informs specific evolutionary theories. Does invoking God further science? Frank and Perry take a look at the nuances of Darwinism versus Design.
- CREATIONISM: Sun corresponds to God. Earth corresponds to nature. Car represents man’s exploration of scientific explanations for origins. The only direction you can go to explore in creationism origins is up.
- DARWINISM: There is only earth, there is no sun (designer). Clouds obscure any knowledge of what may be outside. All light comes from earth because all explanations are naturalistic.
- INTELLIGENT DESIGN: Sun (designer / God) is at the far right of picture, somewhere in the distance. We can drive towards the sun and discover more about nature on earth. However, it is presumed nature can only teach us so much because there is an unspecified degree of divine intervention.
- EVOLUTION 2.0: Sun is at the far right of the picture, indicating the existence of an ultimate source of order. Evolution 2.0 presumes intelligence as a far-off endpoint (perhaps infinitely far) and the earth (nature) as being very, very large. We don’t know how deep nature is. There is no presumed limit to naturalistic discoveries. Instead of presenting God as a source of intervention, God is ultimate source of order and structure. Theology and science are never in competition.
- God as fine-tuner of the universe? Image from Frank Visser’s website
www.integralworld.net/visser136.html. We discuss this in the interview.
- Frank also did a review of my book, Evolution 2.0 – which can be found here: www.integralworld.net/visser97.html
Where Did Life And The Genetic Code Come From? Can The Answer Build Superior AI? The #1 Mystery In Science Now Has A $10 Million Prize. Learn More About It, Here – https://www.herox.com/evolution2.0